Monday, March 25, 2013

30 Spaces / 30 Days: Spring Cleaning

#Spring #Cleaning #Tips

Space 14 of 30: Microwave/Small Appliances

While I am a huge fan of store bought cleaners {Mr. Clean w/ Febreze is a favorite}, I have to admit that using just regular household products like vinegar and baking soda really get the job done! So far I've tried a homemade cleaner for the shower, the oven, and the dishwasher, all with great results. Today, the microwave was on the list, so I looked up a good cleaning method and went to work. I put 1-1/2 cups water + 1/2 cup white vinegar in a glass measuring cup and put in the microwave for 5 minutes. Remove cup and wipe clean. It worked great! Just that easy. Then for the outside of the microwave, I used one of these:

I really love these wipes for my stainless appliances.

Next job, the small appliances. I almost didn't take a before picture because this cabinet was a mess!!!! But to keep things real....

Before:

You never really know what is going on behind closed doors! :O)

I love kitchen gadgets, but I hate storing them, especially things I only use once or twice a year. I had planned to get rid of a few of these appliances, but couldn't part with anything, except for my iced tea maker. I have not used it in a year or so, so it didn't make it back in the cabinet.
I almost got rid of this:

Nathan's grilled cheese sandwich maker! He rarely uses it anymore, but made hundreds of grilled cheeses on this thing when he was younger, and I just can't part with it! :O) I think I will pull it out again soon!
The other thing I want to get rid of is my "antique" blender......

It was a wedding shower gift 30 years ago!!!! It still works fine, but it's ugly! I want a new, pretty blender {but I'm too cheap to throw something out that works}. :O) So for now, it made it's way back in the cabinet again.

Here is the after:

Picture is a little dark, but much neater!!!

Space 15 of 30: Kitchen and Bathroom Sinks/Drains

More homemade cleaners:


For the stainless kitchen sink:
(1) clean out sink with paper towel and dish soap. Rinse.
(2) sprinkle sink with baking soda, use a wet sponge to make a little paste and scrub. Rinse.
(3) scrub around faucets with toothbrush (with baking soda paste). Wipe clean.
(4) line sink with paper towels and pour vinegar over them to soak. Let sit for 20 minutes.
(5) take out paper towels and rinse.
(6) take a small piece of wax paper and rub faucets {supposedly the wax paper helps prevent water marks}



For the drains: pour bleach down drain, let stand a few minutes, then run hot water for a few minutes more.

I didn't get to the bathroom sink today, but when I do, I'll clean with the baking soda only since it is porcelain.

pinterestparty thumb1 thumb1 Pinterest Power Party & Features!




No comments:

Menu Plan Monday: January

hello January: MENU PLAN MONDAY 🗓️ I love all the winter dishes like oysters and ducks, collard greens, soups and stews. Just give me all t...