Saturday, October 26, 2013

Freezer Cooking {Round 3}

I'll admit that this freezer cooking can become addictive! I couldn't wait to get back in the kitchen yesterday morning for Round 3! This time I made Twice Baked Potatoes, Sour Cream Noodle Bake, & Beef Enchiladas.
*I had planned to make Beef Stew as well, but I needed an item from the store. I'll do that one on Monday.

Twice Baked Potatoes
{source:Joyful Momma's Kitchen}

Bake potatoes as usual {I did 9}, let cool and scoop out pulp into a large mixing bowl.
Mash together with 2 T. softened butter, 3/4 cups milk, 1 beaten egg.
Add 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, 4 bacon slices {broke into pieces}, and salt & pepper.
Stir well- fill shells and flash freeze on a tray for 30 minutes.
Put potato halves in small ziploc bags, then in gallon freezer bag.

Directions: Thaw- bake @ 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

Sour Cream Noodle Bake
{source: Pioneer Woman}

1-1/4 pound ground beef
1 can 15-ounces tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
black pepper
8 ounces egg noodles
1/2 cup sour cream
1-1/4 cup small curd cottage cheese
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese


Brown ground chuck in a large skillet. Drain fat, then add tomato sauce. salt and pepper. Stir, then simmer while you prepare the other ingredients. Cook egg noodles until al dente. Drain and set aside. In a medium bowl, combine sour cream and cottage cheese. Add black pepper. Add to noodles and stir. Add green onions and stir.
To assemble, add half of the noodles to a baking dish. Top with half the meat mixture, then sprinkle on half the grated cheddar. Repeat with noodles, meat, then a final layer of cheese.

*{I used (2) 8 x 8 disposable foil pans covered with foil.}


Directions: Thaw- bake @ 350 degrees for 20 minutes, or until all cheese is melted.



Beef Enchiladas
{source: Amanda the Virtuous Wife}

1 pack of flour tortillas
1 lb ground beef
1 (19oz) can of red, mild, enchilada sauce
1 (16oz) can refried beans (optional)
1 (4.5oz) can chopped green chiles
1 pack of taco seasoning
8oz shredded cheddar cheese {or you can use mexican blend}

Side note:
*I forgot to pick up the can of enchilada sauce, so I made my own. (recipe below).
*I've never tried refried beans, so I omitted them. I am already trying black beans for the first time, and I'm adding cottage cheese to the noodle bake (something I swore I'd never eat again) , so the refried beans were a no-go...maybe next time.

Brown ground beef, drain off fat. Stir in taco seasoning. Next, add chilies and stir. If using the beans, add next. Spray 9x13 pan with cooking spray. I actually used the plastic lids from 2 of the 8x8 disposable pans lined with foil. Pour half of sauce in bottom of pan. Spoon about 2 T. meat filling into tortilla, wrap an lay in pan. Continue until all are filled (I made 12). Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas, sprinkle with cheese. Cover with foil and freeze.

Directions: Bake @ 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Make your Own Enchilada Sauce
{source: Resolved To Be}

6 oz can tomato paste
3 cups water
2 tsp cayenne pepper {I improvised using black pepper + hot sauce}
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cornstarch
2 tsp white vinegar
2 tsp onion powder

In saucepan, combine all of the ingredients. Heat the sauce to boiling over medium heat while constantly stirring. Continue to boil and stir for another 2 to 4 minutes until it thickens. Remove from heat and cool. Can be stored in jar with an airtight lid in refrigerator for 2 to 3 months. Can be used as enchilada sauce or hot sauce on tacos. You can adjust the hotness by decreasing or increasing the cayenne pepper.


So, after a few hours of make-ahead cooking, I have 9 meals + 18 twice baked potatoes in the freezer. I am absolutely hooked and can't wait to try a few more recipes. I am anxious now to see how these meals actually taste, hopefully they will be winners. :O)

Freezer Cooking {Round 1}
Freezer Cooking {Round 2}
Freezer Cooking {Round 3}

No comments:

Menu Plan Monday: January

hello January: MENU PLAN MONDAY 🗓️ I love all the winter dishes like oysters and ducks, collard greens, soups and stews. Just give me all t...