Tuesday, January 15, 2013

DIY Filing Cabinet Bench

There is this really awkward, bare, unused space in our living room and I've been looking for something to put there since we turned our once side table into a mantel last year. While I absolutely love how the mantel looks, it is definitely lacking something underneath it, for a more finished look.

I think I've found the perfect thing! Dad is currently working on two other projects for me (which I'll share soon), so I thought, why not add a third project? Dad is re-doing an old chest that I plan to turn into a filing cabinet/bench. It will not only be pretty, but functional!
It needs a new top......

and the legs need to be glued on.....

I love the peg legs, but they can be a bit wobbly....

and some new hinges.....



And it needs painting. I've decided to keep the paint a neutral off-white, but I want to give it a distressed look and add a pretty cushion (which I'm trying to decide on). I can use an extra seat when we have company over, no more bringing in the dining chairs!
The main purpose of this bench will be for filing. I have several spots in the house where receipts, etc., are kept, but I saw this neat idea on Pinterest for turning a chest/bench into a filing cabinet.
Here are a few inspiration photos {source: Pinterest}:
Storage bench turned file storage and extra seating. LOVE! ❤

file cabinet in storage bench

filing cabinet bench

file cabinet bench

I went on officedepot.com  and ordered the hanging file bracket, hanging files, and extra file folders that should fit perfectly inside. I also ordered a couple more binders and packages of dividers as well. I'm planning on doing lots more of the binder organizing........and, I not only got free shipping, but found a 10% coupon online.
I spent most of today going through folder after folder of receipts...sorting, shredding, tossing......what a HUGE task that was! I'm happy to report that I got most of it sorted and ready to file!

Hopefully, tomorrow I'll get the bench painted and distressed, and then I'll get everything filed as soon as my package arrives. I also need to decide on the colors for the cushion and get that ordered.  I'll post pictures of the finished project as soon as it is complete.

1 comment:

Shan said...

I love love this idea!!!

Menu Plan Monday: January

hello January: MENU PLAN MONDAY 🗓️ I love all the winter dishes like oysters and ducks, collard greens, soups and stews. Just give me all t...