Tuesday, November 29, 2011

2 on Tuesday: Christmas Fun then & now

2 on Tuesday{which turned into 22 on tuesday...LOL}
Christmas Fun
1. egg nog or hot chocolate? hot chocolate w/whipped cream
2. does santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Santa never wrapped when I was a kid, but for our boys Santa does wrap. The boys always loved taking turns opening a present.
3. colored lights on tree/house or white? 
We used clear lights for years, but we've added red lights with the clear lights the past few years. It looks very Christmas-y!
4. do you hang mistletoe?
nope.....but I've always wanted to.

5. when do you put your decorations up? Growing up, we always put the tree up on Mom's birthday Dec 12th. Now, our tradition has been to decorate the first week in December....I actually do all of the decorating!
6. what is your favorite holiday dish?
Just one dish???? I love hot crab dip, and any dip really....onion dip, shrimp dip.....
7. favorite holiday memory as a child?
I have so many, but putting up the tree each year will always be a favorite. Dad would get everything out of the attic, Mom would bake her yummy mac & cheese, and we'd turn on Christmas music {8 track tape...LOL...no Pandora Radio...} and we'd spend the evening putting up the tree. Remember the color coded branches? Well, Dad is color blind, and sometimes the tree would begin to look a bit disfigured due mixing up the colors/branches!! It always ended up though being the most beautiful tree ever! I loved pulling all the ornaments out of the box and remembering where we had gotten them or who had given them to us {I still do this every year as I unpack our collection of ornaments}.
8. when and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I must have been the most naive child ever! I didn't find out until the FIFTH GRADE. My dear cousin Carla spilled the beans a few days before Christmas...funny how you never forget that day!!!

9. do you open a gift on Christmas eve? As a kid, my sister and I always got to open a gift on Christmas Eve morning, and the rest of our gifts after dinner on Christmas Eve and then we got our stuff from Santa the next morning. I kept that tradition going with our boys. They always wanted my opinion on which gift to open {since I pretty much knew what they were getting}so they had something fun to play with all day.
10. how do you decorate your Christmas tree? Red/clear lights, and the ornaments are a collection of ornaments that we have gotten over the years. I try to buy/make at least one new ornament each year.
11. snow! love it or dread it? love a soft, falling snow on Christmas, sledding a time or two, then no more snow please! 
12. can you ice skate?
seriously??? LOL...I did as a child/teen, but haven't put on a pair of skates in YEARS!
13. do you remember your favorite gift? I remember my favorite gift each year being the shoebox my Mom-Mom Annie would pack full of little gifts like a necklace, lip gloss, socks, a picture frame, candy,etc. She would also give me a gift, like pj's or a sweater, but the box of goodies was always my most favorite gift! Confession {and I just confessed this to Mom a few years ago} I would sometimes always carefully unwrap my presents, peek inside, and re-wrap them. I never unwrapped the shoebox gift from Mom-Mom though, I wanted that to be a big surprise!
14. what's the most important thing about the holidays for you? First and foremost, celebrating the Reason for the Season. Also, spending time with my family and giving to others.

15. what is your favorite holiday dessert? I {love} Stollen Bread!!
16. what is your favorite holiday tradition? Going to the Candlelight Service at church with my family on Christmas Eve.
17. what tops your tree? Normally, a big bow, but this year we are getting a real tree and I want to put a star on top.
18. which do you prefer: giving or receiving? I know this sounds cliche, but I would much rather give than receive. I love buying gifts for others and also donating to charities, buying toys for Toys for Tots, and filling the shoe boxes for Operation Christmas Child.

19. candy canes: yuck or yum? YUM!!!
20. favorite Christmas show?
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
21. saddest Christmas song? Christmas Shoes
22. what is your favorite Christmas song? O Holy Night is my absolute favorite!!

2 comments:

nammypammy said...

You have left me with some warm memories and ideas, Susie!! Thanks.

Susan said...

I just love Christmas!!! I am so thanful for all the wonderful memories I have! :O)

Menu Plan Monday: January

hello January: MENU PLAN MONDAY 🗓️ I love all the winter dishes like oysters and ducks, collard greens, soups and stews. Just give me all t...