Monday, November 18, 2013

freezer cooking obsession & a review

We tried our third freezer meal last week and guess what???? It was awesome!!
This time, we had Honey Mustard Pork Chops. This recipe only has 3 ingredients: pork chops, honey & Dijon mustard, but is very, very tasty. I let it thaw and then baked it for 25 minutes. I made a quick box of mac & cheese {Nathan thinks Velveeta Shells & Cheese is the perfect side dish} and opened some applesauce...dinner was ready in just a few minutes.  It was so good. My family loves my freezer cooking, and so do I!! :O)
Success #3 just made me even more excited about doing make-ahead meals. I started thinking about how busy things get during the holidays and how nice it will be not to have to cook dinner every night. I just might have some free time to watch all the Christmas movies I love! :O) I started browsing through a few blogs I had found that had some great looking freezer recipes, and made a list of meals I wanted to try next, along with a grocery list, all of which I bought yesterday before we came home. Today, I spent about an hour making three of the recipes {which made 2 bags each}, so I added 6 more meals to my stash. I kept out one meal for tomorrow's dinner and froze 5 meals....pretty good for an hour of my time!
Here's what I made:
Beef Fajitas
{source: Ring Around The Rosies}

2 lb. beef -cut in strips {I used a pkg. of thin cut beef}
2- 8 oz. diced tomatoes w/ green chilies
1 large onion- sliced
1 green pepper- cut in strips
1 red pepper- cut in strips
2 tsp. cilantro
2 cloves garlic- minced
2 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. cumin
salt & pepper
1 jalapeno- diced

Split between 2 gallon Ziploc bags.
Label with directions: Cook on low 5-6 hours. Scoop w/ slotted spoon on hot tortillas. Top with sour cream, avocado, shredded cheddar cheese, & salsa {or pico de gallo}.

I froze one bag and kept the other out for dinner tomorrow. I'll post a review.

I also made:
Cilantro Lime Chicken w/ black beans & corn
{source: Ring Around The Rosies}

8 boneless chicken breast {you can use less/more to suit your family}
3 T. olive oil
2 limes-juiced
2 cups cilantro
1 large bag frozen corn
4 cloves garlic-minced
1 red onion- chopped
2 cans black beans-drained & rinsed
2 tsp. cumin
salt & pepper

Split between (2) gallon Ziploc bags or containers. Shake and seal. Label w/ directions: Cook on low for 8 hours. Serve with hot tortillas w/ sour cream, guacamole, and shredded cheese.

and the last meal I made....
Sweet & Tangy Meatballs
{source: Ring Around The Rosies}
I am very excited to try these. I have a great meatball recipe, but I've always wanted to try one with the grape jelly.
1 bag meatballs or make your own {I used a 2 lb. bag of fully cooked home style meatballs}
1 -20 oz. bottle bbq sauce
1- 16 oz. grape jelly


Split meatballs between (2) gallon Ziploc bags {I got 31 per bag from this 2 lb. bag}. Mix sauce and jelly and divide between both bags. Label with directions: cook on low 2-4 hrs.


Can't wait to try these!

Freezer Cooking #5
Freezer Cooking Review
Freezer Cooking #4
Freezer Cooking Review
Freezer Cooking Review
Freezer Cooking #3
Freezer Cooking #2
Freezer Cooking #1
Freezer Cooking, Make-Ahead Cooking

No comments:

Menu Plan Monday: January

hello January: MENU PLAN MONDAY 🗓️ I love all the winter dishes like oysters and ducks, collard greens, soups and stews. Just give me all t...