Tuesday, July 4, 2017

4th of July 2017

This year's 4th of July was the complete opposite of last year's and I think it was my favorite!! (since the boys were little that is). Peter was home this year and we made the best picnic! Mom, Dad, and Derek joined us for dinner. We tried to get Peter's mom, Lois and my aunt and uncle, Liz and Mitch to come too, but they weren't up to it. We took them a plate of food on our way to the beach later.

Peter wanted burgers and hot dogs this year, so I decided to pull out my Pioneer Woman cookbook and see what recipes she had for the 4th of July. Her menu featured a burger bar...perfect!! I'll link to the recipes I used from her cookbook.



-menu-

- grilled burgers & hot dogs 
- fixins' bar: 
sauted' and raw onions, cheese, tomato, bacon, 
avocado, mayo, ketchup, mustard, pickles
- corn on the cob
- potato salad
- cole slaw 
- baked beans
- mac & cheese
- onion dip/chips/chicken in a biskit 
- watermelon
- flag poke cake
- smores




plate #1 

Peter grilled but we decided to eat inside by the a/c because it was after 4 and the sun was beating down...hottttt!!!! Everything was delicious, especially the BURGERS and BAKED BEANS, both PW recipes! The burgers had very few ingredients but were very juicy and tasty, and I can't rave enough about the baked beans!!!


After dinner, Peter and I went out on the boat for the rest of the evening. We rode over to the beach for awhile, then all the way around the island, ending up in the bay just before the fireworks. It was very cloudy, so no brilliant sunset, but what a beautiful evening on the water! :O) 








Two more items checked off of our Summer Bucket List.....

2/of 15 - celebrate the 4th of July
3/of 15 - watch the fireworks from the boat

We were hoping to make S'mores and fly our kite, but we just didn't fit it in today. So, that makes 3 of the 15 items on the list done, twelve more to go! I know we still have lots of summer left, but it seems like once the 4th has come and gone, summer passes by too quickly!!


4th of July Archives







No comments:

Menu Plan Monday: January

hello January: MENU PLAN MONDAY 🗓️ I love all the winter dishes like oysters and ducks, collard greens, soups and stews. Just give me all t...