Monday, July 23, 2012

cake.....cake......and more cake

I love to cook......I don't love to bake, but I think I broke a record last weekend for number of cakes baked in a 24 hour period in my kitchen! We were having a "Cake Bake" fundraiser on Saturday morning, so on Friday night I whipped up 2 cakes to donate to that.
Chocolate Cake w/cream cheese frosting
Fudge Ribbon Cake {chocolate cake w/cheese cake filling & fudge glaze}

Then, I spotted 4 over-ripe bananas on the counter
and remembered a recipe for Banana Cake
w/Cream Cheese Frosting
that I had pinned on Pinterest. Why not?
So I made cake #3. 
I cut a few pieces to take next door to our
neighbors who had just brought
their new baby boy home from
the hospital. :O)
It was so simple, but so yummy!
I'll share that recipe in case
you want to give it a try!
Banana Cake w/Cream Cheese Frosting

For the cake:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 tablespoons canola oil
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 large egg white, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 large ripe bananas
1/4 cup milk

For the frosting:
4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 & 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoons chopped toasted nuts (optional)

Instructions





To make the cake:
Preheat oven to 375°. Spray an 8-inch square pan with cooking spray.
Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
Using an electric mixer, beat butter, oil, and sugar. Beat in eggs and egg white, 1 at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix in vanilla.
In a separate bowl, mash bananas with milk. Set aside.
Gradually mix half of dry ingredients into butter mixture. Mix in bananas. Mix in remaining dry ingredients. Pour cake batter into prepared baking pan.
Bake 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on wire rack.
To make the frosting:
Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat cream cheese and vanilla. Reduce speed and gradually add confectioners’ sugar.
Spread frosting on cake. Sprinkle with nuts.

Then, on Saturday night, Nathan and Kayla took
over the kitchen and made cake #4. 

Nathan's first try at
baking a cake,
it turned out pretty good
don't you think! :O)

Linking up with Kelly for Show Us Your Desserts.

No comments:

Menu Plan Monday: January

hello January: MENU PLAN MONDAY 🗓️ I love all the winter dishes like oysters and ducks, collard greens, soups and stews. Just give me all t...