Thursday, September 1, 2011

Thoughtful Thursday-The Help {movie}

you is kind. you is smart. you is important.
This past weekend {while we had evacuated for Hurricane Irene}, I had the opportunity to finally go see the movie "The Help" with my Mom and a few other friends. I had read the book and was very anxious to see the movie. We all loved it!!! The script was so well written, the cast was amazing, and I really felt all of the range of emotions that I had felt when I read the book-you will laugh...you will cry..... (By the way if you haven't read the book, you should.)
Since seeing the movie, I've been thinking about one part of the movie in particular. It was very touching, and truly is something we should remind our children {and ourselves} every day.



It was something Abilene {one of the main characters in the story} says throughout the movie to the children she cares for. She is a maid for one of the Jackson, Mississippi families. Part of her duties beyond the cleaning and taking care of her employer's home, is the raising and caretaking of a little girl named Mae Mobley. Abilene has worked as a maid for several families through the years and has raised many children that she loved and cared for as if they were her own.

The one thing that she has taught each and every one of these children she has raised is that despite what may happen to them in life, they should always remember that they are kind, they are smart, and that they are important. Life is not always easy. It is often filled with much adversity and people will not always be kind. Life is filled with so many challenges and when you face these challenges, you will not always meet it with success. Sometimes there will be failure. Sometimes in life, you can be faced with much criticism, not everyone will like you, you may be judged, or people may even try to tear you down for their own benefit.

However, despite all this, even if we have done wrong or been done wrong, made a mistake or failed, or even felt badly about ourselves, it does not change how much we are worth. We are each worth much in the sight of God.

Sometimes we to need practice what we preach though-just as I tell my children to shrug off unkind words, learn from their mistakes, grow and strive to be a better person , forgive and forget, move on, surround yourself with good friends, and above all believe in yourself, I must do the same. This movie reminded me of just this!
What wonderful words to live by.......I am kind. I am smart. I am important.

No comments:

Menu Plan Monday: January

hello January: MENU PLAN MONDAY 🗓️ I love all the winter dishes like oysters and ducks, collard greens, soups and stews. Just give me all t...