Monday, April 14, 2014

coffee table makeover {weathered wood}

It all started with an old weathered section of fence that Mom and Dad was about to take to the dump......

Turns out it was "perfect" for my coffee table makeover project!

Dad did a great job! It turned out even better than I imagined!..{even Peter loves it!!!}



For the base of the table, I had thought about trying a chalk paint, but went ahead and painted it with the same grey/beige paint that I used on the armoire in the bedroom. It looks sooooo good!

Before: oak finish
 a coat of bonding primer.....

a coat of paint with/primer....



I had thought to stain the top of the table with a dark brown stain, but Mom found an awesome blog, Crisp Interiors, and after reading her post about finishing weathered wood, I decided to use finishing wax on it instead. Peter is actually the one who suggested not sanding or staining it, but leaving it it's natural weathered color.

I ordered a can of Briwax Liming Wax from Amazon,  to finish the top and here is how it turned out......


Easy to use: just rub wax on with a dry rag. Rub off as much as you want to get the color you want. Mine turned out kind of white/ grey.....I love it!!!!

The can suggests putting a coat of clear wax on top, just to give it an even more finished look. I ordered a can of Briwax Clear Wax which I'll put on next. I love the finish the wax gives. This wood top was very rough and weathered. The wax gave it a smooth, polished finish. 

I am now on a search for a pretty tray for the table. I think that is just what it needs!


No comments:

Menu Plan Monday: January

hello January: MENU PLAN MONDAY 🗓️ I love all the winter dishes like oysters and ducks, collard greens, soups and stews. Just give me all t...