Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Copy Cat Project - Moss Letter Monogram

I love anything with a MONOGRAM, so here's the latest thing that has taken my eye......Moss Covered Letters! I looked them up on Etsy, and the going rate there is around $50 bucks, I don't think so!! Of course, Pottery Barn has their own version, but you guessed it...too pricey @ $135.50. Yikes!! Then, I searched through several blogs found the DIY version, averaging about $12...that's much better! I'm a bit too busy for craft projects at the moment, but add this to my to-do list for the fall. I plan to make one to hang in the kitchen. In the meantime, I'll be on the lookout for all the supplies and the perfect cute ribbon to hang it by.




I found this DIY tutorial on Livvy Loo Who's blog- go check it out.
http://livvyloowho.blogspot.com/2010/08/moss-covered-monogram-tutorial.html

Moss covered monogram- tutorial
I love how this turned out...and I love the price even more. The whole thing cost me less than $5, thank you Dollar Tree:).
Here is what you will need:
*12" letter- mine was from Hobby Lobby and was $1.99, near the unfinished wood products.
*paint- I used spray paint, Krylon's oil rubbed bronze.
*Spanish moss sheets- from the Dollar Tree. I used 2 sheets.
*Ribbon of your choice- for the letter shown I used 48" total, 24" on each side. The Dollar Tree has this too!
*Hot glue gun
Step 1:
Paint your blank letter and let it dry.
Step 2:
Get out your moss sheet and dry letter.
Step 3:
Cut the moss in the shape of the letter. I needed two sheets due to the width of the "M". I would imagine other letters may only needs one sheet. Now learn from my mistake. I put the moss under the letter and free cut around the letter. The BETTER way to do this would be to hot glue the sheet(s)to the front of the letter then turn it over and cut around it. Duh!
Step 4:
Examine the back of the letter and trim as needed.
Step 5:
Attach the ribbon. Fold over first then glue pretty side up on the back of the letter. You are going to want to glue the ribbon near 45 degrees to avoid puckering once the bow is tied.
Step 6:
Hang it on your door (or anywhere) for all to admire!



No comments:

Menu Plan Monday: January

hello January: MENU PLAN MONDAY 🗓️ I love all the winter dishes like oysters and ducks, collard greens, soups and stews. Just give me all t...