Thursday, May 5, 2016

Hello Fresh Review: Paprika-Rubbed Chicken w/ Barley, Tomato, & Avocado Salad

This was the last of three of the Hello Fresh meals. I just got around to making it a few nights ago, due to being away at the hospital. I had frozen the chicken and oddly enough, the other ingredients were still useable (not as fresh as they were when they arrived two weeks ago, but everything was usable). This was my first ever time cooking/eating barley, and I was surprised at how good it was. This recipe was very easy to make and was very, very delicious!


1) Cook the barley: wash and dry all produce. Remove the chicken from the fridge and bring to room temperature. Place the barley and a little salt in a small pot and enough water to cover by 2-inches. Bring to a boil and cook 25-30 minutes, until tender. Drain.

2) Prep the ingredients: core, seed, and cube the tomato. Thinly slice the scallions, keeping the greens and whites separate. Peel the cucumber and cut out seeds, then put into 1/2 inch cubes. Halve, pit, and peel the avocado, then cut into small cubes.

3) Marinate the vegetables: toss the tomato, cucumber, scallion whites, and avocado in a large bowl with 1 T. Balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.

4) Cook the chicken: with about 15 minutes left on the barley, heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large pan. Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Season both sides of chicken with salt, pepper and paprika. Cook 5-6 minutes on each side. Let rest 5 minutes before thinly slicing.

5) Toss the salad: toss the barley into a large bowl with the vegetables along with a large drizzle of olive oil and the rest of the balsamic vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

6) Plate: serve the chicken on a bed of barley, tomato, and avocado salad. Enjoy!

 
Calories: 553 per serving
 
This meal was a win! The combination of flavors was delicious! My overall experience was similar to my success with Blue Apron. I am still signed up with Hello Fresh and will get a shipment during the time Peter is away since (a) it isn't enough food for him, (b) it is too expensive for our budget unless cooking for one and getting 6 meals out of it,  and (c) I love to cook and have no problem coming up with and preparing good meals for our family. It has definitely solved my bad eating routine while home alone. I LOVE getting the boxes of food, preparing the delicious recipes, and enjoying the awesome meals!! I highly recommend both Hello Fresh and Blue Apron!!
 
If you want to save $40 off of our first shipment from Hello Fresh, use my code S9E8CM.
 

No comments:

Menu Plan Monday: January

hello January: MENU PLAN MONDAY 🗓️ I love all the winter dishes like oysters and ducks, collard greens, soups and stews. Just give me all t...