1) Cook the barley: wash and dry all produce. Remove the chicken from the fridge and bring to room temperature. Place the barley and a little salt in a small pot and enough water to cover by 2-inches. Bring to a boil and cook 25-30 minutes, until tender. Drain.
2) Prep the ingredients: core, seed, and cube the tomato. Thinly slice the scallions, keeping the greens and whites separate. Peel the cucumber and cut out seeds, then put into 1/2 inch cubes. Halve, pit, and peel the avocado, then cut into small cubes.
3) Marinate the vegetables: toss the tomato, cucumber, scallion whites, and avocado in a large bowl with 1 T. Balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
4) Cook the chicken: with about 15 minutes left on the barley, heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large pan. Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Season both sides of chicken with salt, pepper and paprika. Cook 5-6 minutes on each side. Let rest 5 minutes before thinly slicing.
5) Toss the salad: toss the barley into a large bowl with the vegetables along with a large drizzle of olive oil and the rest of the balsamic vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6) Plate: serve the chicken on a bed of barley, tomato, and avocado salad. Enjoy!
Calories: 553 per serving
This meal was a win! The combination of flavors was delicious! My overall experience was similar to my success with Blue Apron. I am still signed up with Hello Fresh and will get a shipment during the time Peter is away since (a) it isn't enough food for him, (b) it is too expensive for our budget unless cooking for one and getting 6 meals out of it, and (c) I love to cook and have no problem coming up with and preparing good meals for our family. It has definitely solved my bad eating routine while home alone. I LOVE getting the boxes of food, preparing the delicious recipes, and enjoying the awesome meals!! I highly recommend both Hello Fresh and Blue Apron!!
If you want to save $40 off of our first shipment from Hello Fresh, use my code S9E8CM.