Seared Chicken w/ Sauteed' Purple Potatoes, Kale & Apple
2 chicken breast
10 oz. purple potatoes
1 Granny Smith apple
1 yellow onion
1/2 bunch kale
2 T. sliced almonds
1 T. butter
1 T. whole grain dijon mustard
(1) prep the ingredients: Wash and dry the produce. Medium dice the potatoes. Peel and medium dice the onion. Remove and discard the kale stem; roughly chop. Peel, core and medium dice the apple.
(2) Brown the potatoes: In a medium pan, heat 2 tsps. olive oil on med-high heat until hot. Add potatoes, season with salt and pepper. Cook; stirring occasionally 8-10 minutes, or until browned and slightly softened.
(3) Finish the veggies: Add the onion to pan, season with salt and pepper. Cook 3-5 minutes. Add kale, apple, and 2 T. water. Season with salt and pepper. Cook 2-4 minutes. Add almonds, mustard, and 2 T. water; cook, stirring frequently 1 minute more. Remove from heat.
(4) Cook the chicken: I cooked the chicken in a skillet with olive oil on med-high heat until done. Salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a plate leaving any browned bits (fond) in the pan. Cover to keep chicken warm.
(5) Make the pan sauce: Add the butter and 1/4 cup water to pan. Season with salt and pepper. Cook on medium heat, scraping any fond from the bottom of pan, 1-2 minutes until combined and slightly thickened.
(6) Plate your dish: Divide the veggies and cooked chicken between two plates. Top each plate with pan sauce. Enjoy!