Saturday, February 20, 2016

5 on friday: just me

(1) cooking for one

It is very hard for me to cook for one, since I am so used to cooking for my family. I find myself not going to the trouble and just eating a baked potato or something quick (a.k.a. junk). I don't really love Lean Cuisine dinners, so I'm trying to put the effort out and cook something. Today, I roasted a few brussel sprouts and baked a pork chop. It was very tasty. :O) I tried the garlic-lemon chicken dish a few days ago and that was delish too!

Here's the recipe: I made it for one!

Garlic & Lemon Chicken w/ Green Beans, Mushrooms, & Potatoes

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 lemon, 1/2 thinly sliced, 1/2 juiced
1 garlic cloves, minced
salt & fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
1/2 lb fresh green beans
2-4 small red potatoes, quartered ( used can whole potatoes I had on hand)
6 large mushrooms (cut in half)
2 boneless chicken breasts

Preheat oven to 400°F Coat a baking dish with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Arrange the lemon slices in a single layer in the bottom of the dish. In a bowl, combine the remaining oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper; add the green beans and toss to coat. Using tongs, remove the green beans and arrange them on top of the lemon slices. Add the potatoes and mushrooms to the same olive-oil mixture and toss to coat. Aarrange the potatoes along the inside edge of the dish on top of the green beans. Place the chicken in the same bowl with the olive-oil mixture and coat thoroughly. Place the chicken in the dish. Pour any of the remaining olive-oil mixture over the chicken.Roast for 40 minutes. Remove the chicken from the dish or skillet. Serve warm.




(2) Blue Apron

Have you heard about or tried The Blue Apron? I had seen a few posts about it on Pinterest, and while I was curious, never really checked it out. I was talking with a friend yesterday, and she said she had tried it recently, and loved it. It's a meal delivery service (free shipping by mail) where you choose 3 meals, and the fresh ingredients and recipes are sent to you. You can choose to get shipments weekly or you can skip/cancel anytime. The price averages about $8-$10 per person per meal and you can choose the 2-person plan or family plan. There are several recipe choices each week and they are posted a month at a time, so you can look ahead. The food looks so fresh and tasty, and I thought it might be a good change, now that I cook for one so often now. This would make 6 meals if just using it for me but would also be nice for those days when I'm just cooking for Peter and I. I am going to do a little more research, but just may give it a try! Here are a few dishes on the menu:

Seared Salmon & Spinach-Walnut PestoSteaks au Poivre

Spicy Shrimp SpaghettiPretzel Burgers

(3) more smoothie love <3

I tried a few more new smoothie recipes this week and they were YUMMY!! I'm still shying away from the green smoothies, but feel like I'm starting my day much healthier these days!! :O)

Cinnamon Roll {recipe LINK}



Cherry Vanilla Almond {recipe LINK}




(4) vacation

The trip planning is really coming together. I finally made tip envelopes, updated travel journal & folder, pulled the suitcases out of the attic, as well as a few summer items. This week, the organization challenge is the bedroom closet, so I'll work on outfits to pack. :O)

Other than waiting on luggage tags for the flight to arrive in the mail, I'm pretty much just counting down the days! Just 12 more days!!!!!! :O)





(5) amazing race (season 28)

After week #2, my thoughts....

Don't really have a favorite team yet, although I like:


:O) Dana & Matt (even though they bickered quite a bit)

Dana Borriello and Matt Steffanina: Engaged

and these teams....


Erin & Joslyn

Season 28  Erin White Robinson and Joslyn Davis: Friends:

Zach & Rachel

Season 28 Zach and Rachel King: Newlyweds:


Brittany & Jessica

Jessica Versteeg and Brittany Oldehoff: Friends

Tyler & Corey (came in 1st place!)

Tyler Oakley and Korey Kuhl: Friends

Marty & Hagan (although, sadly, they were the first team to be eliminated)

Marty Cobb and Hagan Parkman: Mother and daughter

Burnie & Ashley

Season 28 Burnie Burns and Ashley Jenkins: Dating:



My least faves (after this week, but may change)

Darius & Cameron

Season 28  Darius Benson and Cameron Benson: Brothers:

Sheri & Cole

Season 28  Sheri and Cole LaBrant: Mother and son:

Brodie & Kurt

Season 28 Kurt Gibson and Brodie Smith: Pro frisbee players

Scott & Blair

Season 28 Scott and Blair Fowler: Father and daughter:


No comments:

Menu Plan Monday: January

hello January: MENU PLAN MONDAY 🗓️ I love all the winter dishes like oysters and ducks, collard greens, soups and stews. Just give me all t...