Monday, October 5, 2015

[mexican monday]

 
 
~Mexican Monday~
 
 
 Cooking for one isn't near as much fun as cooking for my family, but since this is now my new normal for half the month, I've decided to branch out from frozen pizza, salad, or cereal for dinner and plan some normal meals. I only know one way to cook....large meals, but I am learning to cut recipes down so that I can still cook some delicious dishes, yet do it on a smaller scale.
 
I used a few more things from my veggie supply for my meal today. I still had a few ears of corn left, so I scraped all of it off into a bowl. I was planning to do Mexican for dinner, so I looked up a few Mexican corn recipes. I chose this one but modified it.
 
 Mexican Corn Cakes
 

~Ingredients~

3 cups fresh corn (1-1/2 cups)
4 scallions (I used 1 T. yellow onion -minced)
1 jalapeno pepper (about 1/2 a pepper - minced)
2 large eggs (1 egg)
1/4 cup milk (2 T. milk)
1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend (1/2 cup)
1 cup self rising flour (1/2 cup reg. flour)
salt - to taste
Oil
 

~Instructions~

Dice the dark green and light green parts of the scallions and put them in a large microwave safe bowl along with the corn and the minced jalapeno pepper. Microwave the mixture for 3-4 minutes. ( I just microwaved the corn, onion, and pepper for 2-3 minutes). Let the mixture cool slightly and then stir in the milk, cheese, self rising flour, salt and eggs. Mix to combine. Heat a large fry pan on the stove with oil. Drop the batter onto the hot pan. Fry until both sides are golden brown and the centers are cooked. Serve with lime wedges, salsa, sliced tomato, sliced avocado, or sour cream.

 
 I cut this recipe in half (amounts used noted above) and it made 5 cakes. I dipped them in salsa and sour cream - delish!!!
 
 
Jalapeno Poppers


(Recipe link HERE)

You can make as many or as few as you want with this recipe. They can also be broiled instead of grilled, which I did this time. An easy, yummy side dish on Mexican night!!

Chicken Quesadilla

I did a quick and easy quesadilla with grilled chicken, jalapeno and green pepper, onion, and Mexican blend cheese.

- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
(cut in strips, seasoned, and cooked in a little olive oil)

- green pepper and onion
(sliced thin and cooked in a little butter)

- jalapeno pepper - minced

- 2 tortillas

- Mexican blend cheese

If you don't have a quesadilla maker (which I don't) a skillet works just as well.

Lay one tortilla in skillet, top with cheese, chicken, veggies, and sprinkle with a little more cheese. Lay second tortilla on top, turn heat on low and cover. After a few minute (once cheese has begun to melt) flip and heat a few more minutes. Cut into 4 pieces with pizza cutter. Serve with your favorite sides - I had sour cream and salsa with mine.

Veggies used: jalapeno peppers in all three dishes, green pepper, and corn. I still have enough corn kernels left to make another recipe...corn chowder maybe???


 

No comments:

Menu Plan Monday: January

hello January: MENU PLAN MONDAY 🗓️ I love all the winter dishes like oysters and ducks, collard greens, soups and stews. Just give me all t...