Tuesday, October 27, 2015

The Happiness Project: August 2015

Catching up on ......

The Happiness Project

August 2015

Contemplate the Heavens
 
 
Part One: READ MEMOIRS OF CATASTROPHE
 
 
For the month of August, Gretchen suggested reading books on catastrophe. She read memoirs about people facing death. After reading numerous books on this subject, she wrote: "As a consequence of reading these accounts. I found myself with a greatly heightened appreciation for my ordinary existence. Everyday life seems so permanent and unshakable---but, as I was reminded by these writers, it can be destroyed by a single phone call....the diagnosis changes everything."
 
"We should always live fully and thankfully in the present."
 
"As I became more aware of the preciousness of ordinary life,I was overwhelmed by the desire to capture the floods of moments that passed practically unnoticed."
 
She decided to start a one sentence journal.....a place to record the fleeting moments that make life sweeter but that so easily vanish from memory.
 
The Days Are Long But the Years Are Short
 
Side note: While looking for books on catastrophe, I came across this one. I haven't read it yet, but put it on my to-read list for later.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Part Two: KEEP A GRATITUDE NOTEBOOK
 
Keeping a gratitude journal. Gratitude is magical.  It is powerful.
I think this is a great idea, but I have tried numerous times over the years and failed miserably. Sometimes. I think I use my blog as a journal, not always noting gratitude, but as I look back through the years of blog posts, I feel grateful for all the awesome things in my life.
 
I gave Mom a cute gratitude journal for Christmas last year, but you can use a simple journal or even a spiral notebook.

Here are a few that I really love.....
 
Gratitude Journal with Monika Wright | iloveitall.etsy.com
 
free printable - record a month's worth of gratitude - would be fun to do all year! cute easy gratitude journal.
 
 Five Years of Gratitude - Why Remembering is Important at littlegirldesigns.com.
 
Daily Calendar Journal {mama♥miss} ©2013 Includes printable for the cards
 
I have a binder similar to this that I could easily turn into a gratitude journal...just need to print out monthly pages. November would be a great month to start!! 
A super easy way to make this pretty Gratitude Journal! @hkswapp @joann_stores #makeprettystuff:
 
 
 Part Three: IMITATE A SPIRITUAL TEACHER

Even as a Christian, you will have problems, heartaches, and fears, but in submission to the Holy Spirit, we will discover greater peace and joy and develop a greater understanding of God's greatness and love for us.

Submit your future to God, trusting Him to bring great good out of both the positive and negative events in our life.

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."
1 Thes. 5:16-18



 
 

No comments:

Menu Plan Monday: January

hello January: MENU PLAN MONDAY 🗓️ I love all the winter dishes like oysters and ducks, collard greens, soups and stews. Just give me all t...