Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Hello Fresh Review: Pan-Seared Steak w/Herb Butter


Thanks to Shellbell I just received my first shipment from Hello Fresh absolutely FREE! :O) I was very anxious to try this meal service since my experience with Blue Apron had been such a hit! I decided to try it while Peter was home (Nathan & Kayla would be away so that worked great since each meal is only 2 servings), and I made our first of three meals as soon as the box arrived. I am going to do a complete review and compare to BA.

The delivery: on time.



The packaging: packed nicely in a box with 3 individual boxes for each meal. The 4 ice packs were almost completely melted, but everything was still cold. With BA, the ice packs were frozen solid when box arrived. HF shipped UPS, BA shipped FedEx.

 
And I am just noticing the "make me first" sticker on the shrimp box! :O( I'll be sure to make this one next!!



The Ingredients: the ingredients looked very fresh. I liked BA packaging a little better.



The recipe: the food comes with recipe cards similar to BA. The directions were easy to follow as well.

Pan-Seared Steak w/ Herb Butter, Roasted Potatoes, & Green Bean Saute



12 oz. sirloin steak
12 oz. yukon gold potatoes
2 cloves garlic
1 sprig parsley
4 oz. green beans
1 tsp. dijon musturd (a tiny jar was included)
1 T. butter (not included)
olive oil (not included)
salt & pepper (not included)




Calories: 639 per serving


my plate
Peter's plate
Overall thoughts: I guess I should have started with something a little more exciting than steak & potatoes, because while this meal was good, it just didn't WOW me. Also, it definitely wasn't enough food for Peter. I could easily have made two meals out of it, Peter probably could have eaten both plates. I'm anxious to try the other two meals in the box, since they are a bit more adventurous! Overall, I liked this meal, but the steaks we cook are hard to beat, so it was hard not to compare.

No comments:

Menu Plan Monday: January

hello January: MENU PLAN MONDAY 🗓️ I love all the winter dishes like oysters and ducks, collard greens, soups and stews. Just give me all t...