Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Blue Apron Review: BBQ-Spiced Salmon

This meal was amazing! The salmon was so fresh and seasoned perfectly. The sweet potatoes were a perfect compliment along with the arugula salad. The vinaigrette was a delicious combination of shallot, red wine vinegar, whole grain Dijon mustard, and olive oil.

This meal was very easy (and quick) to prepare. There is plenty of time while the sweet potatoes roast to make the salad and cook the salmon (about 20 minutes).


BBQ-Spiced Salmon w/ Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Arugula, Apple, & Walnut Salad



2 skin-on salmon fillets
2 oz. arugula
1 Granny Smith apple
1 large sweet potato
2 T. walnuts
1 shallot
1 T. red wine vinegar
1 T. whole grain Dijon mustard
2 tsp. spice blend (smoked paprika, sweet paprika, ground fennel seeds, ground coriander, garlic powder, and light brown sugar)





(1) prepare the ingredients: preheat oven to 475 degrees. Wash and dry fresh produce. Slice sweet potato into 1/4" rounds. Core apple and cut into matchsticks. Peel and mince the shallot to get 2 T. (you may have extra - I had 1/2 shallot left over). Place in a bowl with the vinegar. Set aside.



(2) roast the sweet potatoes: Place the potatoes on a sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil; salt and pepper to taste. Toss to coat. Arrange in single layer and roast for 20-22 minutes.

(3) make the vinaigrette: add the mustard to the shallot-vinegar mixture; season with salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in 2 T. olive oil. Set aside.

(4) toast walnuts: in a dry heated pan, toast walnut for 2-3 minutes. Remove and wipe out pan.

(5) coat and cook salmon: place spice blend on plate. Pat salmon dry with a paper towel then season both sides with salt and pepper. Coat the skinless side of each fillet, pressing to adhere. Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in pan on med-high heat. Cook salmon for 3 minutes on each side. Remove from heat.

(6) make salad and plate your dish: toss together apple, walnuts, and arugula in a bowl. Add enough vinaigrette to coat (you may have extra). I only used one serving of salad, so I put the remaining salad in an airtight container without dressing. I kept remaining dressing in a separate container until ready to serve again. Divide sweet potatoes, salmon, and salad between two plates. Again, I stored the second serving of salmon and potatoes for another day's meal.



This meal was absolutely DELISH!!! I am VERY pleased with Blue Apron so far! I was apprehensive about the portion sizes, but it is more than enough (I think even for Peter).

I really loved the salad. I would never have combined those ingredients, but it was SO tasty! I will definitely add this salad recipe to my regular cooking in the future. The salmon was also very good. The combination of spices was so flavorful, again, I'll be making this dish again. I had already been roasting most of my veggies, so I knew the sweet potatoes were going to be good. This entire dish was a WIN!! :O)

Makes: 2 servings / Calories: about 600 per serving
Prep Time: 10 mins. / Cook Time: 20-30 mins.

I have one more meal to prepare (a chicken dish), that I am going to make on Saturday.

Tuesday - Meatballs
Wednesday - Salmon
Thursday - Salmon
Friday - Meatballs
Saturday - chicken
Sunday - chicken

I love cooking only 3 times and having enough food for almost the whole week! Also, I think Peter would enjoy these meals, so whenever it's just us here, I might give Blue Apron a try for the two of us. For now, this works great when you are cooking for one! :O)

No comments:

Menu Plan Monday: January

hello January: MENU PLAN MONDAY 🗓️ I love all the winter dishes like oysters and ducks, collard greens, soups and stews. Just give me all t...