Wednesday, August 19, 2015

what matters most.....


Be Inspirational ❥|Mz. Manerz: Being well dressed is a beautiful form of confidence, happiness & politeness
It's really not about schedules or a clean house or even work, for me, right now, it's about the little things....having coffee on the patio, dog nose prints on the back door, everyone sitting around the living room curled up with a throw just catching up. We had one of the best weekends ever this past weekend, and we barely even left the house. Our lives are so hectic these days. We race from one thing to the other trying to fit in as much as we can in those short 24 hours. We get tired and stressed and frustrated. Slowly, I'm learning that when I get the opportunity to relax and enjoy, I do just that. I have seen a time when I would spend more time "entertaining" than enjoying during holidays or when Logan and Lindsey come to visit.

For this visit, I took a different approach to things, and instead of cleaning and cooking for days, I took one morning off from work to clean the house, and planned a menu that wouldn't keep me in the kitchen their entire visit. I still like to cook their favorite foods though, but I don't want to be so focused on cooking and cleaning, that I miss out on what really matters, spending time with my family.

This weekend, we had crabs! Summer seafood is the best. We had steamed crabs the first night and soft crabs the next, both of which Peter helped cook. I made ahead a big bowl of macaroni salad, a pan of seven layer salad, and for dessert, Paula Deen's Strawberry Shortcake Trifle.
The best strawberry shortcake ever! ( Paula Deen's recipe- need I say more?!)
source: Pinterest
That's something else I love about summer, salads and refrigerated desserts. Things you can make ahead and enjoy later. :O) Sadly, I didn't take any food pictures. :O(

 
Allie made her first trip to TI! Peter was a little apprehensive about how Jaxson and Gozzy would react, but they made out just fine. :0)



She loved the yard.....

 
(side note: Peter watching the martins fly over, they didn't nest this year, but frequented his house often....maybe next year!)
 
flower garden barricade! :O) :O)

the golf cart.....

 
 
sleeping on the sofa.....

 
 
and swimming at the beach (although the bugs cut their beach trip short).

Mom and Dad came down for dinner on Sunday and afterwards we watched old videos. Lindsey loved seeing Logan when he was little. We had such a good time and had a very relaxing weekend and as you can tell, we are all completely in love with this sweet puppy! :O) I can't imagine how foolish we will act when grandbabies come!

 
Life is made up of all the little moments - take time to take them in and enjoy them.  Often its the little things that count the most. #lornajane #myactiveyear

Peter had to leave for Baltimore on Monday morning. He had paperwork to sign yesterday and was assigned his boat. Logan and Lindsey didn't leave until that evening. We got lunch (love the crab melts from Four Brothers....can you ever have enough crab?). They checked out the gift shops, got ice cream,  and one last cart ride for Allie before heading home. Mom and Dad went back to the rental on Monday too, so you can imagine how quiet it has been here. I can't wait for Nathan to get home today. He and Peter are hoping to eventually get on the same tour, but for now, one is coming and the other is going. :O(

Peter is headed to NY today for his first tour. I am very proud of him and look forward to this {new} next phase of our lives! The past few years have brought many changes, but change is good, and slowly I'm learning to let go and enjoy the ride!


too many times we don't take the time to slow down and enjoy life.... but think of everything you've missed








No comments:

Menu Plan Monday: January

hello January: MENU PLAN MONDAY 🗓️ I love all the winter dishes like oysters and ducks, collard greens, soups and stews. Just give me all t...