Nepalese Chicken Tarkari w/ Garlic - Spinach Rice & Spiced Tomato Sauce
The chicken is full of flavor - seasoned with a blend of spices: curry, cumin, cinnamon, and ground cloves. The jasmine rice is infused with garlic and combined with sautéd spinach. The spiced tomato sauce brings the dish together - packed with flavor from the fresh ginger, scallions, and seasoning. Delicious!!
2 boneless - skinless chicken breasts
3/4 cups jasmine rice
1- 15 oz. can crushed tomatoes
4 oz. spinach
3 cloves garlic
2 T. creme fraiche
1 (1 inch) piece ginger
1 T. chicken tarkari spice blend (curry powder, ground cumin, ground cinnamon, & ground cloves)
(1) prepare the ingredients: wash and dry the fresh produce. Peel and mince garlic and ginger. Cut off and discard root ends of scallions; thinly slice the white bottoms and cut the top greens into 1/4 inch pieces, keeping them separate.
(2) start the rice: In a medium pot. heat 2 tsp. olive oil on med-high until hot. Add garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add rice, big pinch of salt, and 1-1/2 cups water; heat to boiling on high, then reduce to low and cover. Simmer 12-14 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff with fork. Set aside.
(3) cook & drain spinach: In pan, heat 2 tsp. olive oil on med-high until hot. Add spinach; salt & pepper, and cook 2-3 minutes until wilted. Transfer to strainer to remove excess liquid then finely chop. Wipe out pan.
(4) cook chicken: pat chicken dry with paper towel; season on both sides with salt & pepper and half the spice blend. Heat 2 tsp. olive on on med-high until hot. Add seasoned chicken and cook on both sides 4-6 minutes each; cover loosely with foil. Transfer to cutting board, leaving any browned bits in pan.
(5) make tomato sauce: Add to pan, white bottoms of scallions, ginger, and remaining spice blend (add a little olive oil if pan is dry). Cook 1 minute then add tomatoes; season with salt & pepper. Simmer;stirring occasionally 4-6 minutes or until thickened. Add creme fraiche and simmer; stirring frequently (about 1 minute).Remove from heat.
(6) finish rice and plate your dish: Slice the cooked chicken crosswise. Add the chopped spinach to pot of rice; stir thoroughly to combine. Season with salt & pepper if needed. Divide finished rice and tomato sauce between two plates. Top the sauce with chicken. Garnish with green tops of scallions. Enjoy!!!