Thursday, March 13, 2014

living room before & after



The old drywall was covered with white v-groove paneling.

The old block ceiling was pulled down and replaced with Armstrong Plank Ceiling Tiles.
The built-ins were made from two bookcases that I bought online. I ended up buying them from after my choice from Ikea didn't work out. I had limited space to work with since I was planning to reuse an oak entertainment cabinet that I bought years ago for the middle tv stand. He had to pretty much take it apart and put it back together. They length was the perfect fit, but everything else about it needed modifying.
The bookcases were the perfect size to fit on each end, but they had a slick cherry finish on them that was a pain to paint over. We finished up painting these the night before we left for Florida.

I tried several primers and found that bonding primer worked best.

When we got back the walls, ceiling, and moulding were finished.
Time to put the built-in together. 
The oak cabinet had to be cut down to the right height. The glass door was removed as well.
Perfect fit!!!!!
Then everything got a few more coats of white paint.
 I like that we took the back off the bookcases to let the planks show.
It turned out just as I had imagined. I don't think the carpenter thought it was going to turn out so well when I first presented the idea of putting these mix matched pieces together, but I think he was as pleased as we were with the finished job!!!!

Now the fun part....time to add a little more color and character to the room.....

No comments:

{a day in onancock}

07.14.18 We (Peter, Glenna, Addison, & I) took a day trip to Onancock for Dawsyn's 1st Birthday party! What a gorgeous day on...