Friday, January 24, 2014

5 on friday


{one} cooking
This time last year, I was cooking up a storm....planning menus and trying lots if new recipes. Things have changed drastically in the cooking department here at our house since the holidays. I haven't been cooking as much, especially when Nathan is away at work. I've been doing simpler meals. Peter and I like the same things, and we can pull a meal together in no time. Also, with the house being in such a mess, I've been pulling out those freezer meals I made earlier (still can't say enough about freezer cooking). I love to cook, but sometimes there isn't time or I am busy with other things. This cold weather was calling for some comfort food though, so yesterday I did a Cheesy Ham and Potato Casserole.It was a so good!

Here's the recipe:
1/2 stick butter
1/4 cup flour
2-1/2 cups milk (I used 1-1/2 cups milk + 1 cup heavy cream)
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. ground mustard
8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups cubed ham
2 T. minced onion
6 cups sliced (boiled) potatoes

Make a cream sauce w/butter, flour, milk, and seasonings.
Add cheese, stir until melted. Stir in ham and onion. Alternate layers of potatoes and cheese sauce in 13x9 baking dish. Top with bread crumbs (2 T. melted butter + 1/2 cup bread crumbs). Bake @ 350 degrees for 45 minutes.




{two} tv watching
I {love} Doc Martin!!!!! I'm already on Season 4! If you are looking for a good series to watch this winter, add Doc Martin to your must see list!


{three} decorating
Work in our bedroom is almost complete. Just two pieces of moulding left to be put up, then I can start putting that room back together. It looks so good! I am very happy with the way it has turned out and can't wait to set it off. I've ordered new curtains, new comforter, and a new headboard. I'll be using the pillows that I had made last year (yellow & grey). In the living room, I'm planning on switching out the yellow/grey and will be adding teal/turquoise with the brown/tan/white

I still haven't chosen a paint color for the dresser and armoire cabinet (but leaning towards a shade of grey). I'm going to keep the two bedside tables black (I think). I'm so anxious to start getting things back to normal.

{four} organizing
Since I'm not on much of a schedule these days, I need to spend more time on organizing. Time to pull out my 30 spaces/30 days list and get busy. I'll start with Organizing Photos. I want to gather all of my photos and albums in one place. I used to keep them in several locations all over the house, one spot being the bottom of the armoire in our bedroom.


All of my photos will now be kept in the bottom cabinet part of the built ins. Time to get busy organizing!

{five} trip planning

Trip planning is coming along. I started our travel folder with reservation numbers (dinner/room/etc), park hours, itinerary, and other trip related stuff. We usually keep our itinerary very loose, but do decide on major things beforehand. Plans are very flexible though and we sometimes change things as our trip progresses. The first few days at Disney are planned, we know which park and where and when we will dine, but the last two days I've pretty much open. This is our second "just us" trip and  I'm very excited to do some old and new things....alone! And on no particular schedule.
I made our "mousekeeping" envelopes for the room tip each day. I will fill these before we leave. I also fixed our envelopes for travel money. We have an envelope for each day of travel with cash $$$ in them that we use for each days expenses. The only thing we'll charge will be gas and hotels we'll need driving down and back. I love going on vacation and having everything paid for. Since we do a room, park tickets, and meal package so the only $$$ we need is spending money for extras like shopping, tips.
2 weeks from today we'll be on the highway headed south!!!!!!
So excited!!!!!


No comments:

Menu Plan Monday: January

hello January: MENU PLAN MONDAY 🗓️ I love all the winter dishes like oysters and ducks, collard greens, soups and stews. Just give me all t...