Sunday, September 16, 2012

an amazing journey.....

As I was leaving work today, one of my guests {an avid bird watcher} asked me to come back for a minute so that he could show me something. He pointed at the trees in the lot next door. At first glance, I really didn't see anything other than what looked like leaves, until a few moments later when hundreds of monarch butterflies came to life!! It was one of the most amazing sights I've ever seen. I ran home to get my camera and tried to get some pictures. I had to zoom, and these were the best shots I could get.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The picture below is a bit fuzzy, but it will give you an idea of how many butterflies were clustered on one branch.....they were like this on several branches of the trees. It looked to be hundreds of them.
 
 
I did some research online and found a site where you can report sightings of the butterflies as they make their journey south to Mexico. I am going to do this! :O)
 
I'm so glad that my guest spotted the butterflies while bird watching today, otherwise, I would have just walked right on by, missing a truly amazing sight!! :O)
 
 
 

6 comments:

Vicki @ lifeinmyemptynest said...

This is amazing - thanks for sharing these photos :-)

beagleAnnie said...

Hi Susan,
What a terrific scene!!

Claire Justine said...

Wow this is amazing I would love to see this :) thanks for joining us at welcome to the weekend hop,now following ,have a great week :)

Karen said...

Oh, wow! That is amazing! I would love to see something like this!

Christi said...

I watched a special on them and their journey to Mexico and I thought it was amazing. Your pictures are awesome. I have heard it is breathtaking to stand there on the day they arrive, they say you can actually hear them coming. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Visiting with you from Karen's blog. I love butterflies and your pics are truly amazing. What a delight this must have been in person. I'm your newest follower. Mildred

Menu Plan Monday: January

hello January: MENU PLAN MONDAY 🗓️ I love all the winter dishes like oysters and ducks, collard greens, soups and stews. Just give me all t...