Sunday, December 2, 2012

Pie of the Month: Sweet Potato

A friend gave Peter some sweet potatoes last week, and I knew right away what I was going to make with them......Sweet Potato Pie, of course! I did use a few of them last weekend to try some fries {which were delish!}, but I was anxious to try my hand at making a pie, especially since I had started this new monthly challenge. I had planned on using Peter's grandmother's recipe, because I remembered that she used to make a delicious Sweet Potato Pie, but I couldn't find her recipe anywhere. Peter's mom still has her recipe box, but I came up empty-handed because it wasn't in there, and she couldn't remember how she made it. So, I went online and looked for a recipe, and here is what I came up with. It's actually a combination of two recipes that I tweaked a little.


Sweet Potato Pie

2-1/2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
1 cup evaporated milk
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/4 t. salt
1/2 cup coconut
1-9-inch unbaked deep dish pie crust

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Boil, skin and mash sweet potatoes.

  1. Mix together: potatoes, eggs, sugar, butter, milk, & spices. Fold in coconut and pour into unbaked crust.

  1. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. Top w/whipped topping {optional}.

2 comments:

Shanna Watson said...

I am soooo going to try this. I made sweet potato biscuits last night, yummy!

Susan said...

Shanna~ Can you share your biscuit recipe? I've been wanting to make them {especially to go with our spiral ham on Christmas!}. My email is: slcphc@yahoo.com
Thanks!

This pie was very good, but Nanny made them so much better! I wish I could have found her recipe.

Menu Plan Monday: January

hello January: MENU PLAN MONDAY đź—“️ I love all the winter dishes like oysters and ducks, collard greens, soups and stews. Just give me all t...