Friday, January 7, 2011

Recipe 1 Shepherd's Pie


Recipe #1 Jan 07, 2011




The very first recipe I'm going to try is for Shepherd's Pie. I've heard several of my friends talk about it, and I've seen lots of different recipes for it, but I've never made it before or eaten it.

After searching online for what I thought might be a good recipe for Shepherd's Pie, I decided to try one from allrecipes.com . It was a bit time consuming, since it has a few steps. My family thought it was pretty good, but I don't think it is something I'll be making too often. (I'd give it a C+).

Shepherd's Pie

Ingredients


4 lg. potatoes-peeled and cubed

1 T. butter

1 T. finely chopped onion

1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

salt and pepper to taste

5 carrots-chopped

1 T. vegetable oil

1 chopped onion

1 lb. lean ground beef

2 T. flour

1 T. ketchup

3/4 cups beef broth

1/2 cup frozen peas

1/4 cup shedded cheddar cheese


Directions

1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook for about 15 minutes or until tender. Drain and mash. Add butter, 1 T. onion, and 1/4 cup cheese. Mix well and set aside.

2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add carrots and cooked until tender. Drain and mash. Set aside. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

3. Heat oil in large frying pan. Add onion and cook until clear. Add ground beef and cook until well browned. Drain off any excess fat, then stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Add ketchup and beef stock. Add frozen peas. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

4. Spread ground beef mixture in a deep pie plate or 2 qt. casserole dish. Spead a layer of mashed carrots next, then mashed potato mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments:

Menu Plan Monday: January

hello January: MENU PLAN MONDAY 🗓️ I love all the winter dishes like oysters and ducks, collard greens, soups and stews. Just give me all t...