Friday, November 15, 2019

subject to change....

Don't stress. Do your best. Forget the rest. | Don't stress.… | Flickr

11.15.19 

Today was my goal date to have the whole house [fall] cleaned. I had given myself plenty of time to get it done before the holidays. I also had the week before Thanksgiving blocked out to watch Rowen while Nathan and Kayla went on their cruise. I had started my new personal goal for the year - my lifestyle change, as well, and also had holiday plans swirling around in my head. Plans....lots of plans.

But plans are subject to change - things happen, like having an unexpected death in family. But there are good changes too like, finding out we are having another grandchild. Kayla has been so sick, and they ultimately decided it was best to cancel their trip, which also meant I wouldn't be keeping Rowen next week. Plans change, schedules change, life changes.

I'm actually on no schedule these days, with housekeeping or drinking enough water, or making healthy choices, or finding time to exercise. What I have been doing though, is making more time for the people in my life. I have early morning coffee with Mom and Dad more often, and I've helped out with Rowen and cooked meals when needed. I've also stressed less about checking off the to-do list and meeting deadlines, and skipping extra events just because I'd rather be home. I'm also not in the frame of mind to worry about what or how much I'm eating right now (who wants to worry about that with Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up???).

Sometimes, you have to give yourself the ok to do what's best for you. If having a schedule, a clean house, a get-fit plan, your house decked out for the holidays the day after Halloween, attending every social function makes you happy, then do it! But, don't beat yourself up or feel like you've failed if you don't stick to a "plan" and you just need to do more things that make you happy.

so........

- I have an annual check-up next month, and I'm going to re-start my lifestyle change goal in the NEW YEAR! I will have a better idea of my weight and health, and will be more ready for a fresh start [and can enjoy the holidays without guilt].

- I'm going to keep the house clean and organize as much as I can, and then do a late Fall/early Spring cleaning after Christmas when I have more time.

- I'm feeling the urge to decorate for Christmas early this year!! I'm a diehard - no decorating before Thanksgiving...BUT.....I want to this year, so I'm doing it!! We aren't hosting Thanksgiving at our house, so it doesn't matter if I still have pumpkins out or have the tree up! Also, it definitely won't take away from how much I will still enjoy having Thanksgiving dinner with my family. It's one of my favorite holidays!!!! See, we worry too much about what others are doing or what we've always done....change is ok, you doing you is ok.

- I want to spend LOTS of time with my family, more quiet time with Peter, and more dinners with my best friend, and make sure to find some time just for ME too! Fridays are becoming my "day off" and I'm LOVING it!!!


While it's good to make plans for our days, to be ahead of the game, to make lists and fill the calendar with things to do, things are subject to change, and I want to be flexible enough to go with the flow and enjoy those days.

2 comments:

Margaret Seagraves said...

This Sunday morning, I decided to check your blog, and wow! can I ever relate to what you said about doing what you feel like when you feel like it and not following other people's schedules and ideas of what's important!

I always waited until after Thanksgiving, too, to begin decorating for Christmas and frowned at people who had Christmas lights and trees up before Thanksgiving. This year, my tree is already up because I will be leaving on December 14 to go to Austin, Texas to help my daughter through her spinal fusion surgery, and I won't be back home until January 8. I figured, why not enjoy the Christmas tree while I'm still here? Why wait? Being flexible with schedules and routines is so important, and yet it's the most difficult thing to achieve!!! Flexibility is something I've been striving for in the 68 years I've been alive, and I've yet to achieve it without a struggle! I still keep trying, though! I think that deserves some credit! :)
Take care and enjoy your holiday season, however it feels best, and I'll try to do the same!
Love you! Margaret xoxoxo

Susan said...

I struggle so much with this - but I am learning, at this season of life, to do what works best for me. I keep reading that in order to give your best to others you have to be good to yourself first. This, for me, means cutting back on some extras (that may be stressing me) or changing some of my many “because I’ve always done it that way” things. I want to “be still” and enjoy all the things!

Menu Plan Monday: January

hello January: MENU PLAN MONDAY 🗓️ I love all the winter dishes like oysters and ducks, collard greens, soups and stews. Just give me all t...