Thursday, November 27, 2014

Thanksgiving 2014

Keeping up with Thanksgiving traditions, dinner was held at my parents house. Mom had knee replacement in September, so I suggested sister and I take over!
Sister informed me she doesn't cook, but turns out she has been pulling a fast one all these years! That pumpkin pie was the bomb!!


We've always topped our pies with cool whip or redi-whip, but this year I made the good stuff...whipped cream from scratch. I won't be buying that stuff in a can anymore! Oh my!

[Beat one container (2 cups) heavy whipping cream with 1/2 cup sugar (add 1 T. at a time). Add 1 t. vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy. Refrigerate.] 
How have I not been making this!?

Back up to yesterday.....
a nasty, windy, rainy day, and my family was traveling!
 Julie had to drive up from Chincoteague. Nathan was on the road too. He got off the boat, but had to van from Salisbury to Norfolk, switch over to his truck, turn around and drive back up the shore. Logan and Lindsey were also on the road. Logan had school from 11/17 - 11/26 so Lindsey went with him. After his test yesterday, they had to drive back home, Logan then had to pack and head to Philly for work. Nathan was able to stop by to see them though before he left. It was the first time they had seen each other since June 14. They were happy and sad at the same time. They really miss each other. Hopefully, their schedules will soon overlap again. 

I was relieved when everyone got to their destinations safely. 
We decided to get a jump start on dinner, so yesterday after Julie got here, we made the pies, the sweet potato fluff, and mixed up the corn pudding. Mom had already cooked a pot of string beans and made a cake. 

This morning, I went up early to get the turkeys in. 
Mom suggested getting two 10 lb. instead of a big 20-pounder. 

The next 9 hours went something like this.....

breakfast

cooking

it wouldn't be Thanksgiving without Mom's dressing!! Oh My!!


(notice we couldn't keep Mom out of the kitchen....she just won't mind me!!). :0)

......then a break here and there for the parade, a little internet time, football watching, picture taking, story telling, table setting, and there may have even been some napping (for a very tired pie baker maybe?).....LOL

our disposable plate tradition continued again this year :0)
(including aluminium baking pans)

dinner was delish!!!


A new tradition: Mom made a thankful tree this year!

We all wrote what we were thankful for, then they were read out after dinner. 




#thankful #grateful #blessed


Happy Thanksgiving!!!

No comments:

Menu Plan Monday: January

hello January: MENU PLAN MONDAY 🗓️ I love all the winter dishes like oysters and ducks, collard greens, soups and stews. Just give me all t...